Agrobacterium problems

Steve Wylie wylie at CENTRAL.MURDOCH.EDU.AU
Tue Oct 10 21:20:46 EST 1995

Does anyone else working with Agrobacterium tumefaciens have the problems
that I do?
Firstly, it is very inconsistant in growth, sometimes growing vigorously
in liqiud medium, and at other times growing slowly.
Transforming it with large plasmids by electroporation or triparental
mating mating has been easy with some plasmids and impossible with others
of comparable size. All conditions and cells identical.
I use the strain Agli and have not tried others. Is there a difference in
ease of use between strains? Where can I buy other strains?
I store a glycerol stock at -80 C and plate onto LB + glucose every
couple of weeks, working from single colonies taken from that plate.
Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
Steve Wylie
Murdoch University
Western Australia