Protocols for isolation of plant proteins?

George F Edick edickg at rpi.edu
Mon Oct 9 09:03:48 EST 1995

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a protocol for the isolation of plant proteins that
would be suitable for a Freshman level lab course. I have found a variety of
sophisticated approaches, but I feel that these may be too difficut for the
students. I'm looking for a reliable procedure for breaking open cells from
roots, stems, and leaves in order to extract most or all of the cellular
proteins. These would be examined using SDS-PAGE.

My experience is with animal cells and I'm not familiar with any problems
there might be in dealing with cell walls when disrupting plant cells.

Any general use procedure or standard reference(s) would be greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks.

George

George Edick