Pre-filter recommendations?

mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 11 07:27:57 EST 1995

We're making GST-fusion proteins from E.coli.  Part of our process includes
clarifying the bug lysate through a 0.22um filter.  The solution is pretty
gungy, and things would flow better if we prefiltered.  Does anyone have
suggestions for pre-filter pore size/model number?

TIA,
Richard
Richard P. Grant MA DPhil      rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Oxford.
http://sable.ox.ac.uk/~lady0266

	If you've got small sample volumes then you can opt for prefilters
(eg  Milipore do a range of glass fibre prefilters) designed to fit reusable filter units.
However, we have found that although subsequent filtration with 0.45um filters is
improved you still go through a lot of filters.
	For large tissue homogenates we have switched to a tangential flow
device produced by Filtron (Mini-ultrasette, sold by Flowgen in the UK) for
processing over 1L of centrifuged homogenate.  These units don't come cheap but are
re-usable

Raj.
mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk