Storing Northerns

Thorsten Jabs thorsten.jabs at medew.fyto.wau.nl
Wed Oct 11 12:41:07 EST 1995

aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu (Tracy Aquilla) wrote:
>In Article <e-anderson-2709951107330001 at e-mac-56.ski.mskcc.org>,
>e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org (Eric C. Anderson) wrote:
>>dear bionet-folk:
>[snip]
>>in the past, i have stored dried, unprobed northerns at -20oC in Saran
>>Wrap or Seal-a-meal bags.  they worked fine after as long as 6 months (the
>>longest i ever tried) or storing them.  but these were blots using yeast,
>>C. elegans or mouse RNA, not exactly precious and easily re-made if
>>necessary.
>
>I have stored dry Northern blots in a drawer at room temp for several years
>with no problems. I don't think it's necessary to store them at -20C.
>I do keep them between sheets of filter paper just to keep them clean.
>    Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I have used northern for several years (2-4) with similar experiance just
by storing them dried and clean in a drawer even with probed northerns.

Thorsten

Dr. Thorsten Jabs		email:	thorsten.jabs at medew.fyto.wau.nl
Dept. of Phytopathology		tel:	+31-8370-8-3135 (fax: -3412)
Wageningen Agricultural University	+31-317-48-3135 from october 95
P.O. Box 8025
NL-6700 EE Wageningen
The Netherlands

Plant-pathogen interactions; signal perception and transduction;
oxidative burst; systemic acquired resistance; hypersensitive cell death:
OML means Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Light