Storing Northerns

Aaron Pawlyk aaron at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 12 18:39:31 EST 1995

I prefer to store dried northerns wrapped in Saran-Wrap at 4C myself.

Just my general paranoid about stuff that 'grows' at RT.

Aaron C Pawlyk

Tracy Aquilla (aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu) wrote:
: In Article <e-anderson-2709951107330001 at e-mac-56.ski.mskcc.org>,
: e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org (Eric C. Anderson) wrote:
: >dear bionet-folk:
: [snip]
: >in the past, i have stored dried, unprobed northerns at -20oC in Saran
: >Wrap or Seal-a-meal bags.  they worked fine after as long as 6 months (the
: >longest i ever tried) or storing them.  but these were blots using yeast,
: >C. elegans or mouse RNA, not exactly precious and easily re-made if
: >necessary.

: I have stored dry Northern blots in a drawer at room temp for several years
: with no problems. I don't think it's necessary to store them at -20C.
: I do keep them between sheets of filter paper just to keep them clean.
:     Tracy