Composition of M9 media.

Brad Nicholson brad at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Wed Oct 11 15:15:08 EST 1995

In article <1995Oct11.124228.63440 at cc.usu.edu>, sl3wx at cc.usu.edu wrote:

> Hi netters,
 >I would be grateful for some information regarding minimal medium.
>snip<
 >1) Can anyone provide me with a recipe for Minimal Media that worked fine
 >for them???
 >2) How long is one expected to wait to observe growth??
Hello there,
As for your first question, the recipe in Maniatis is ok, but did you give
your bug everything it needs to grow?  What carbon source, glucose or
glycerol.  Did you supplement with Thiamin (Vitamin B1)? I don't have the
genotype of XL-1 handy, but XL-1 Blue has a thi-1 allele, with a
requirement for thiamin.  If you didn't add this, then I would say that it
may be your problem.  We use 1 ml of a 1% stock per liter of media, added
after autoclaving.  Apologies if you have already ruled this out.

As for time to see growth, that depends upon how happy the bugs are, how
much you innoculate with, and how well supplemented the media is.  But, you
should be able to notice an increase in turbidity by 4 to 5 hours after
innoculation.

Good Luck,
Brad
Brad Nicholson                |"If it worked the first time, it wouldn't be
Department of Pathology       |	research."...Brad Nicholson
University of Utah            |
Salt Lake City, UT 84132      | iligitimi non corborundrum
brad at howard.genetics.utah.edu |
or: (801)-581-4365            | My opinions are solely my own.