Air drier for DNA pellets?

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat Oct 14 12:40:33 EST 1995

In article <45j7ri$hdv at edisto.awod.com>, bkodrzyc at awod.com (Bob Kodrzycki)
wrote:

>Recently I saw an ad for an air drier for a device that used forced air
(from a
>house air system?) to dry pellets in microtubes.  I can't remember the supplier
>or find the ad again.
>
>Does anyone know who supplies this item.  Also, can anyone comment on how it
>works.  I am interested in trying it because vacuum centrifugation often has
>difficulty in removing all traces of a 70% ethanol wash (in a reasonable
amount of
>time).

I'm very suprised by this - I usually find just a few minutes on the bench
under an anglepoise lamp is sufficient to dry my pellets.  Its especially
fast if you remove the ethanol, give a v. quick respin and suck off the
last little bit.

I'd be cagey of blowing 'house air' over my pellets - there's no telling
what kind of gunge is in the pipes :-).  I did used to suck air over
pellets (without actually touching the pellet) using a vacuum aspirator to
dry them more quickly - maybe that would work for you?

Cheers,

David

D.R.Micklem,
Tennis Court Road,
Cambridge CB2 1QR             Fruit flies like a banana.
UK
Tel: [+44] (0)1223 334129     Email:drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fax: [+44] (0)1223 334089