ABI's Taq FS

Alan Lyons lyons at cyclid.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 09:36:48 EST 1995

In article <hardy-1410951419130001 at mighty.facs.fccc.edu>,
hardy at mighty.fccc.edu (Richard R. Hardy) wrote:

> In article <45k6c3$ie1 at nntp3.u.washington.edu>, jason2 at u.washington.edu
> (Jason Seto) wrote:
>
> >Has anyone used the Taq FS from ABI and found they have not had to purify
> >the sequenced product prior to electrophoresis on a 3373/377?
> >
> >Does the EtOH ppt step work, or do you lose the first few bases?
> >or do people still use the spin columns to purify off the excess dyes,
> >regardless of ABI's claims that you don't need this step with their new
> >enzyme/kits?
>
> We have been getting good results with the new Taq FS kit from ABI; we
> compared sequences from the old kit (w/spin column) to that with new kit
> (EtOH ppt) and got equivalent or (in most cases) better sequences on an
> ABI 377.
> Richard R. Hardy                       Member, Institute for Cancer
Research
> Fox Chase Cancer Center                Tel:    (215) 728-2463
> 7701 Burholme Ave.                     FAX:    (215) 728-2412
> Philadelphia, PA 19111                 E-MAIL: R_HARDY at fccc.edu

I would agree, we get equivalent or (in most cases) better sequences on an
ABI 373, and you certainly do not need to phenol extract or use spin columns.

Alan.

   \\    //          Alan Lyons           \\    //
    \\  // Email  lyons at cyclid.demon.co.uk \\  //
      ||        Tel.   01753 534655          ||
      ||        Fax.   01753 536632          ||
      ||      Molecular Biology Dept.        ||
      ||      Celltech Therapeutics plc.     ||