Recovering DNA from gels

George F. Mayhew mayhew at genetics.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 16 11:36:48 EST 1995

In article <jmanalig-1610951017430001 at host40-44.oto.uiowa.edu>,
jmanalig at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu (jose) wrote:

>I've seen a lot of posts on recovering DNA from agarose gels, but does
>anyone have any suggestions on the best way of recovering DNA from an
>acrylamide gel?
>
>--
>Jose Manaligod, MD
>University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
>Iowa City Iowa
>jmanalig at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu

Soak in 1X TE or TAE overnight at RT or 37 degrees to allow the DNA to
difuse out of the gel (mash the gel if you wish, but I don't).  Use a C-18
column to remove acrylamide carry-over.  ETOH ppt.  And joila...DNA.  I've
used this to purify primers and dsDNA up to 200bp in length.  Recovery is
better than 75%.

Luck,
George

--
"People are DNA's way of making more DNA."(Edward O. Wilson, 1975)
\ / \  \ / \  \ / \  \ /   George Mayhew   \ / \  \ / \  \ / \  \

     University of Wisconsin - Madison, Laboratory of Genetics,
  College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and the Medical School
               445 Henry Mall, Madison, WI 53706
            Phone: 608-262-2534    Fax: 608-263-7459
     http://www.genetics.wisc.edu/HTML/STAFF/mayhew/mayhew.html

++For PGP public key, finger mayhew at moldoveanul.genetics.wisc.edu++