RNA and Protein from the same sample

Lauryl Maiya J Nutter lmjnutte at acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca
Tue Oct 17 15:52:15 EST 1995

S.K.Green (S.K.Green at shef.ac.uk) wrote:
: Does anyone out there know of a method that allows you to prepare RNA and
: Protein from the same sample.  We are hoping to analyse the RNA by
: Northerns and the protein by Westerns.

: Thanks for your help

: Sue Green

GIBCO/BRL has a product out called TRIZOL which allows the
homogenization of the sample in the TRIZOL buffer, followed by
precipitation of the RNA from the aqueous phase, DNA from the
interface and proteins from the organic phase.  I routinely use
this for RNA islations, but have not proceeded with either DNA or
protein isolation because it is not necessary for my work.

Hope this helps.

Lauryl Nutter
lmjnutte at acs.ucalgary.ca