Identifying a promoter: help!

bbraun at ucla.edu bbraun at ucla.edu
Wed Oct 18 12:42:05 EST 1995

Giorgio,

It is possible that the promoter has no TATA box.  For example, look at the
Initiator element (eg the TdT gene).  Also, I have come across TATA-less
promoters in some p450 genes (eg CYP4A2, etc).  Off the cuff, I might think
about verfying that the 5' end of the mRNA is within this fragment, andm if
so, mapping the start site.  The former can be done by Southern blot using
a 5' cDNA probe, and the latter can be done by S1 analysis, primer extension,
etc.

Benjamin