Identifying a promoter: help!

Giorgio Spagnol spagnol at galactica.it
Wed Oct 18 05:09:49 EST 1995

Dear fellow netters,
I screened a genomic library by PCR with the intent to clone a gene
promoter. The DNA segment I cloned does not contain a clear cut TATA box
nor a CAAAT sequence.
I guess I should consult a computer-based database to see if some
consensus for transcription factor or DNA binding protein is present, in
order to educately guess (or exclude) that the cloned DNA is indeed a
regulatory gene segment and proceed with transfection trials.
I'm new to this field, so any suggestion would be most welcome.
I thank you anticipately.
Giorgio