protease inhibitors

mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 04:01:48 EST 1995

Does anyone know of any good irreversible thiol proteinase inhibitors that
work well on bacterial enzymes??

Troy Barton
University of New Brunswick
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
L14Y at UNB.CA

p-Chloromercuribenzene sulphonic acid (PCMBS) will inhibit thiol
dependent enzymes at a working concentration of 10 micro molar.
However, this inhibition can be reversed in the presence of DTT or
mercaptoethanol (Which I think is useful).  Maleimides eg N-Ethyl
maleimide react irreversibly with SH groups but I have no experience in it's
use as a protease inhibitor.  It may also adversely affect proteins of interest.

Hope this is helps.

Raj. Odedra
(mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk)