PCR of a GC Rich, Tandem Repeat Region: HELP!

David N. Levy david_levy at dfci.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 18 11:10:21 EST 1995

In article <460ip9$smg at sifon.cc.mcgill.ca>
Petros,  BKXO at musicb.mcgill.ca writes:

> I am trying to amplify by PCR a highly GC rich region with a high number of
> 15bp tandem repeats.  The template is genomic DNA.  The expected size
> of the fragment is approximately 1.2Kb. The polymerase I am using is
> Taq DNA Polymerase.

I have used 10% glycerol in the reaction to increase yield of high GC
content DNA.  This sometimes helps a lot and sometimes not at all and
sometimes hurts, but it can make the diff. between success and failure.
 Probably similar to adding DMSO.

David N. Levy
Division of Molecular Genetics
Dana-Farber Cancer Insitute