(none)

raghu at bcgoa.ernet.in raghu at bcgoa.ernet.in
Thu Oct 19 22:16:09 EST 1995

Re.: Request for information on a sensitive method to estimate the
enzyme DMSP-lyase.

From: S. Raghu Kumar, Biological Oceanography Division, National
Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa - 403 004, India.
E-mail: raghu at bcgoa.ernet.in

Dimethylsulfoniopropionate (DMSP), produced by several unicellular
algae in the marine environment, is cleaved by many bacteria by means
of the enzyme DMSP lyase, to yield Dimethylsulfide (DMS) and Acrylate.
This process has generated a great lot of interest among marine
ecologists, because of the climatological importance of DMS.  The
release of DMS from DMSP is conventionally studied using gas chromato-
graphy.  In this context, I am eager to obtain information on the
following aspects:

1) Is there a rapid and sensitive method available to estimate
DMSP-lyase?

2) Highly sensitive techniques are now available for several enzymes such
as proteases and glucosidases, whereby substrate-analogues containing
fluorescent methylumbelliferone are used.  Is such a method, using a
substrate-analogue for DMSP feasible at all to estimate DMSP-lyase?

I shall be very grateful for information on this.  Thank you very much.