Biomek 2000 workstation

Andy Law Andy.Law at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 04:13:02 EST 1995

In article <1991 at biosys.apldbio.COM>, khouryGM at perkin-elmer.com (Gloria
Michael Khoury) wrote:

 >  >Does anyone know who makes this machine and a phone number for the
 >  >company?  Thanks, Mary
 >  >Hi, the company is BECKMAN (try http://www.beckman.com)
 >  Applied Biosystems makes a workstation also.  It's called the Catalyst
 >  800.
 >  From what I've heard, the catalyst 800 is a better workstation.  It has
 >   a thermal cycler included, cold storage, and pipetting specifications
 >  that are
 >  lower in volumes than the Biomek.  For example: 0.1 ul vs 1-2 ul for
 >  the Biomek.
 >      APPLIED BIOSYSTEMS(try http://www.perkin-elmer.com/)

I wonder if anyone else noted where this poster's email address points? I
wonder why they think the ABI machine is better?? Hmmmmmmmm...

So, tell me Gloria, have you ever worked in a lab and have you ever
considered how much surface tension might influence the accuracy of a
0.1ul pipetting? I really don't think so. Get real, don't just quote
claimed specs.

Andy Law