GST fusions - please, help

ijiwaru at wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us ijiwaru at wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat Oct 21 15:26:22 EST 1995

In article <46bbgc$16vi at news.doit.wisc.edu>, klenchin at macc.wisc.edu (Dima
Klenchin) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would greatly appreciate, if you can clarify for me the following.
>
> I need to overexpress 70K protein as a GST fusion. It is cloned into
> Pharmacia's pGEX-2T. As usually, expression level and solubility is a
problem.

> 1. What strain should be used? Pharmacia recommends BL21 that we don't have
> right now. Does it really offer any advantages over, say, JM109? Is
anything else
> better available?
BL-21 is good because of the lack of lon protease (if I remember
correctly).  I don't remember if JM109 has any of the same protease
deficiencies.  If you have been using an old transformation of your
expression construct in BL-21, you might try re-transforming, I have heard
from a number of people that stability of plasmids in this strain is poor.
YMMV

> 2. I will need to remove thrombin after cleavage. Is there any highly specific
> affinity matrix that will stick thrombin selectively?
I don't know if your amount of expression will allow it but, if you can't
find a suitable affinity matrix, how about using 30K MWCO Ultra-free type
spin filters to get the thrombin away from your 70K?  Again YMMV.