Mechanism for acidic phenol prep. of RNA?

Dan Baggott dbaggott at reed.edu
Mon Oct 23 12:42:20 EST 1995

Speaking of mechanisms, can anybody explain to me why DNA (chromosomal as
well as plasmid) partitions to the organic phase during extraction with
water-saturated phenol (pH ~5) while RNA (ds as well as ss) stays in the
aqueous?  I suspect, but have never tested, that incubating on ice prior
to separating the phases is crucial for this to work.  I'm thinking in
particular of the protocol from Current Protocols for preparation of yeast
RNA (which involves suspending cells in a SDS/tris/EDTA solution, adding
acidic-phenol, incubating at 65 for >30min with occasional vortexing, on
ice for 5 min, spin/recover aqueous, re-extract with acidic-phenol with 5
min ice incubation prior to separating phases, clean up aqueous with a
final chloroform extraction and precipitate).

Any insights on this mysterious (to me) process would be appreciated.

Dan Baggott
Reed College
Portland, OR