ECL Optimisation

Stacy Ferguson sef at
Mon Oct 23 12:19:53 EST 1995

In article <9510221614.AA21313 at>,
Seth Corey <corey at MED.PITT.EDU> wrote:
>do people put in azide in their primary ab? and will it not
>interfere with ECL?

You don't really need it if you plan on using it right away and dump it
down the sink when you're done. Some people reuse primary antibody
dilutions for a couple of months and stuff will grow in it if no preservative
is present. Supposedly, azide will interfere with ECL. I have found that
to be true with one of my less sensitive reagents. However, other agents
can be added in place of azide. I bought a stock of thimerisol that worked
fine and had no noticable effect on my Westerns.

Stacy Ferguson
sef at