ECL Optimisation

Stacy Ferguson sef at med.unc.edu
Mon Oct 23 12:19:53 EST 1995

In article <9510221614.AA21313 at uranus.med.pitt.edu>,
Seth Corey <corey at MED.PITT.EDU> wrote:
>do people put in azide in their primary ab? and will it not
>interfere with ECL?
>thanks,
>seth

You don't really need it if you plan on using it right away and dump it
down the sink when you're done. Some people reuse primary antibody
dilutions for a couple of months and stuff will grow in it if no preservative
is present. Supposedly, azide will interfere with ECL. I have found that
to be true with one of my less sensitive reagents. However, other agents
can be added in place of azide. I bought a stock of thimerisol that worked
fine and had no noticable effect on my Westerns.

--
Stacy Ferguson
sef at med.unc.edu