Alternative to Ethidium Bromide

mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 07:14:32 EST 1995

Gareth,

	Flowgen in the UK sell a dye called cyber green which is quite
sensitive.  However, as has been mentioned previously in this news group
all these DNA binding dyes are poteintally unhealthy.  We use ethidium
bromide routinely.  If we need to dispose of a large volume of buffer
containing the dye then we simply add activated charcoal (wrapped in a
paper coffee filter bags), leave for several hours or overnight, then
pour the water down the sink and incinerate the filter bag.

Raj.

(mbro at seqnet.dl.ac.uk)