Tetracycline inducible expression

iddavis at vms.cis.pitt.edu iddavis at vms.cis.pitt.edu
Wed Oct 25 08:02:43 EST 1995

In article <308D23ED.7C91 at vax.nott.ac.uk>, Nigel Kenward <mbxnjk at vax.nott.ac.uk
writes:
> Has anyone used tetracycline induced expression systems with any success ?

Well, it's actually a tetracycline-repressible system.  I have used it
and it works very nicely.  It all depends on what you want to do with it,
what cells you are using, what degree of baseline expression is tolerable,
etc, but overall it compares very favorably with other systems.  The beauty
of it is that it introduces a unique signaling pathway into the cell: other
inducible systems rely on preexisting signaling pathways with the potential
of interfering with other functions.

Reference: Gossen M & Bujard H.  Tight control of gene expression in
mammalian cells by tetracycline-responsive promoters.  PNAS 89:5547-51, 1992.

Or try emailing sabinef at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de  They are extremely
helpful people and I can't speak highly enough of them.  Hope this is
helpful to you.

Ian Davis					iddavis at vms.cis.pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute