help with silver stain

CK Wen cwen at aux.btny.purdue.edu
Wed Oct 25 09:25:41 EST 1995

The streaks on your gel is probably caused by un-denatured proteins or
other particles which trap some material which can be separated by the
electric field and stained by silver.  For the high back ground, I would
suggest you not to stain the second time. Usually, sfter the first
stain-
ing, the signal is good enough, especially you already got yellwo
background.  As my experiences, once you got a background, this
background will be more intense during a short period which you transfer
the gel to acetic acid for stopping staining.  When I got a yellow
background, I always stop staining, and the background will be yellow to
amber.

best wishes,

Chi-Kuang