primer staining mystery

Michael Szardenings msz at bio.embnet.se
Thu Oct 26 04:40:02 EST 1995

In article <46kioo$k0u at gwsun.medinf.mu-luebeck.de>, msms at ON-Luebeck.DE
(Manfred Schuermann) wrote:

> Can anyone out there please tell me why silver staining of oligonucleotide
> primers in denaturing  PAA gels is so mysterious? It is accepted that
> ethidium bromide is not an appropriate stain, due to the lack of double
> strands.
It still binds, and oligos are usually used in so high concentrations,
that it really does not matter, that the affinity is quite a bit lower.

> But why are there primers that give a strong and clear band when
> stained with ethidium bromide and no signal at all after silver staining?
Are you sure, that you fixed the gel properly? Otherwise it should really
work, never seen something likewise, if the oligo is not still protected.

Viel Erfolg

                  Michael

**     ** ***   ** ******** * Michael Szardenings                       *
***   *** *****        ***  * Biomedical Center, Pharm. Pharm.          *