Help with UV Shadowing requested

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 09:53:54 EST 1995

In article <46lt28$n57 at taco.cc.ncsu.edu>, smlane at unity.ncsu.edu (Stephen
Marcus Lane) wrote:

>Hi, I'm a grad student in Biochemical Engineering here
>at NCSU, and I'm having real trouble getting a
>UV shadowing protocol to work.  I haven't been able
>to find much at all in the literature or protocol
>manuals on the technique.
>
>UV shadowing is supposed to work by running RNA or SS DNA
>on an acrylamide/urea gel, then exposing the saran-wrapped
>gel to UV light.  The light is absorbed and fluoresced
>by a TLC plate (I'm using Brinkmann: Merck silica gel
>F254), except where the RNA/DNA is on the gel.  In these
>spots the RNA/DNA absorbs the flouresced light, supposedly
>showing up as "shadows" on a green background.

<snip>

>Thanks, Steve
>--
Hi Steve,

One other thing (than the only other reply I've seen...) -

Are you getting the geometry of your set up right?!  It needs to go:

UV source
GEl on saran wrap
TLC plate (or other fluor)

ie, your gel must be between the UV source and the fluor - the RNA/DNA is
NOT absorbing the fluoresced light, it is absorbing the UV and preventing
it exciting the fluor.  Hope this helps,

David

D.R.Micklem,
Tennis Court Road,
Cambridge CB2 1QR             Fruit flies like a banana.
UK
Tel: [+44] (0)1223 334129     Email:drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fax: [+44] (0)1223 334089