Lambda-HindIII ladder

Arle Kruckeberg arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
Sat Oct 28 12:50:12 EST 1995

In article <malexeyev-2710950955210001 at 128.249.210.32>
malexeyev at biost1.thi.tmc.edu (M. Alexeyev) writes:

> In article <46q4dh$boe at agate.berkeley.edu>,
> tommyc at caa32.alumni.berkeley.edu (Thomas Chuang) wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >

> >      I was wondering if anyone knows of the percentage of DNA content
> > corresponding to each band of HindIII-digested lambda DNA. I am trying to
> > determine the concentration of my "GeneClean'ed" DNA and require a
> > percentage chart. Thanks ahead of time.
>
> Dear Thomas:
>
> The percentage of DNA content in each band is equal to the percentage of
> the fragment length of total lambda length (48 502 bp , if I am not
> mistaken). You can easily calculate it yourself. Make sure to heat
> lambda/HindIII marker before running your gel: the fragments  4361 and
> 21360 bp tend to stick together through 11 base cos ends that leads to
> underrepresentation of 4361 band. 5 min at 65oC is usually enough.
>
> M.A.

I keep this info close to hand:

HindIII-digested lambda
Fragment, bp         ng per 100 ng
23130*               47.6
9416                 19.4
6557                 13.5
4361*                 9.0
2322                  4.8
2027                  4.2
564                   1.2
(125                  0.3)
     *cos sites

Arle
a.k.a. Dr. Arthur L. Kruckeberg
University of Leeds        phone  +44 +113 2333172
Leeds LS2 9JT              FAX    +44 +113 2333167
Great Britain              arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk