DNA extraction from blood

Robert Horton horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Mon Oct 30 10:36:42 EST 1995

Kizanne Davies (u2527314 at ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au) wrote:
: Hi
: I would like to know of any easy and reliable methods for extracting DNA from
: frozen blood (sheep).  At present we use a high salt method, that I don't
: find that reliable in my hands.  Any comments or references would be helpful.

What do you need the DNA for? If its just for PCR, I highly recommend
the Chelex method:

Walsh, P.S., D.A. Metzger, and R, Higuchi. 1991. Chelex 100 as a medium
for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic
material. BioTechniques 10(4):506-513.

The Chelex resin removes divalent cations, so you can boil your sample
with impunity to get the DNA out. Works on dried blood stains, hair shafts,
etc. Fresh, and probably frozen, blood is even better.

Robert M. Horton (PhD!) /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U of M Dermatology Dept || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
Box 98 UMHC, 4-154 PWB /||\ -W. von Braun.   Disclaimer: "Bob who?"
Minneapolis, MN 55455   ^^   horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu       (612)625-8941