western blots

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Tue Oct 31 07:00:45 EST 1995

In article <47382l$opc at netserv.unmc.edu>, dmlepley at netserv.unmc.edu
(Denise Lepley) wrote:

> Hello all!  I was wondering what the consensus is for trying to use the
> peptide antigen to compete off non-specific primary antibody binding for
> western blot analysis.  In my opinion, using the same peptide the
> antibody was raised against will compete off non-specific as well as
> specific antibody binding.  So, in effect, adding peptide to the primary
> antibody solution is a meaningless control.  What are your opinions on
> this?

Theoretically, use of a specific peptide should not compete non-specific
binding.  From my experience using this technique to identify which bands
are actually Jun or Fos proteins, it works.

Stephen R. Lasky Ph.D.
Section of Experimental Therapeutics
Roger Williams Medical Center
Providence, RI 02908
Phone: 401-456-5672      Fax: 401-456-6569
e:mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu