Designing PCR primers

Taunja Lee Palmer-Stone tlpalmer at acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca
Tue Oct 31 18:46:37 EST 1995

Is there a Mac freeware/shareware programme for designing PCR primers?
(and if there is where can I find it).  I have two sequences that I would
like to use as primers in a bacteria which favours G/C in its codon
usage.  Since I am using two consensus sequences I am somewhat limited in
my choice of primer sequences.  I know people who have had mixed
experiences with designing PCR primers.  Some didn't check
their primers and later couldn't get their PCR to work because the two
primers didn't anneal at the same temperature.  Others didn't check and
got good results (different primers of course).  Which scenario is the
most prevalent?  I would like to check my proposed primers before I get
them synthesized.  Any PCR gurus out there with advice/comments?  Also,
are there any pitfalls to using I in PCR primers?

--
Taunja Palmer-Stone
tlpalmer at acs.ucalgary.ca