Agarose gel electroforesis buffer

Yap Yun Kiam medp4026 at leonis.nus.sg
Tue Oct 31 21:00:15 EST 1995

	We have been using Tris-Acetate-EDTA (TAE) buffer for
electrophoresis of Agarose gel for DNA samples. Previously, a problem
occured in which our 1kb DNA marker bands either appeared as smear ( as
if degraded) or there are a lot of stray bands. First, we check the 1kb
marker and found that it is okay (let another lab try it). We tried to
trace out the culprit, and finally we change all the TAE buffer (TAE is
prepared in 10x stock and diluted before used). we suspect something went
wrong with the buffer but we can't tell what went wrong. Recently, this
problem re-occured, the 10x TAE buffer is not a newly prepared one, half
of it has been used without any problem. We thought that it could be the
deionize water that is used to dilute the 10xTAE, so we change all the
deionize water in the lab and collect some fresh one (from the same
deionize machine) but the problem still persist.

	Can someone suggest what the culprit is? How it can be solved?