Does RNasin inhibit RT?

T. S. Grewal sasgrewl at reading.ac.uk
Sun Sep 3 08:12:05 EST 1995

I have also tried Promega's RNasin with MMLV (ClonTech) for generating
cDNA to be used in differential display PCR and it did not work.
I have also tried cDNA synthesis without RNase inhibitor and the DDRT-PCR
works well.
Recently i tried cDNA synthesis with an RNase inhibitor and MMLV, both
from ClonTech (1st Strand Synthesis Kit), and DDRT-PCT. It worked well
and i got more larger PCR products.
So it seems that if your RNA is of a high  quality, you can leave
out the RNase inhibitor, but you do get better results if it is
included. It would seem that certain RNase inhibitors work well
with some reverse transcriptases. Best thing is to find a combination
of inhibtor and enzyme that work well together and stick to it.

(PS. it is possible that Promega's RNasin works well with their reverse
transcriptase)

(These are only my views)