Setting up a lab at home

Tony Hodge tph at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 04:17:31 EST 1995

In article <42if9l$79e at taco.cc.ncsu.edu> Susan Jane Hogarth,
sjhogart writes:

Well Susan I'd love to carry on the debate, Email would be less
bother to other users of this group but I don't see your address on
your posting.

>Everything I
>do at home *I* will be responsible for, not some university or institute or
>government. You don't imagine *that* will make me careful??

I'm sorry, I don't know you personally so I can't make that kind of
judgement, what I can say is that my experience is that many
researchers are badly informed/unaware of health and safety issues,
in particular relating to Genetically Modified Organisms eg the
Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations 1992 made
under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, the Genetically
Modified Organisms (Deliberate Release) Regulations 1992 made under
the Environmental Protection Act 1990 or even the closer to home the
'Guidelines for the risk assessment of operations involving the
contained use of genetically modified micro-organisms (ACGM/HSE/DOE
Note 7 Sept 1993)

In the latter case I view the regulations as _enabling_ me to do the
work I want to do under conditions considered 'safe' by society not
some way of curtailing my research freedom, providing protection for
me, my colleagues, society and the environment.  It is on that basis
of enabling research to go ahead that such regs should be applied.

>Have you seen the American film "Waterworld"? You'd probably like it...

I certainly intend to!!

I present a parallel.....

As for your dog, that was probably just a 'wise-crack'? but if you
moved to the UK and brought him/her with you, would you be justified
avoiding quarantine simply because  'Everything I do at home *I*
will be responsible for, not some university or institute or
government.' ??

Tony P Hodge
Structural Studies Division
MRC-LMB,  Hills Road