KoAc

R. Woodward rw200 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 07:10:30 EST 1995

Dear All
Can anyone tell me how to make 3M KoAc and get the pH down to ~4.8?
I ahve tried the method suggested in Maniatis but I can only ever
achieve a pH of 5.8 at best, for use in alkaline mini preps this
does not appear to have any datremental effects.  Maniatis makes
a solution which ends up being 3M with respect to K and 5M wrt
Ac however the acetate ion concentration must be much higher than
this after the solution is pHed. For mini preps this appears ok
but I am concerned when I use KoAc in other buffers ie for
S1 nuclease treatment. Are enzymes more dependent upon the K or
Ac ????
Thanks Robert

R. Woodward
Email rw200 at cus.cam.ac.uk