NIH image-Windows version

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 07:14:43 EST 1995

In article: <1C745030018D0000 at ggpl.arsusda.gov>  wgarrett at GGPL.ARSUSDA.GOV writes:

> Does anyone know whether NIH image written for the Mac and placed into the public domain has
> been written for Windows or DOS.  If so, how does one go about finding this program.

Have a look at the following which runs great under Win95 (not 3.1).

Direct copy from the Overview in the help file.
Available by ftp to maxrad6.uthscsa.edu in I think /pub/it. I also think they
have a www page but do not know the URL. Failing that download the last three
weeks post in bionet.software and you should come across it.

Duncan

UTHSCSA ImageTool (IT) is a public domain image processing and analysis program
for Microsoft Windows  95 or Windows NT.  IT can acquire, display, edit,
analyze, process, compress, save and print gray scale and color images.
IT can read and write over 22 common file formats including BMP, PCX, TIF,
GIF and JPEG.  Image analysis functions include dimensional (distance, angle,
perimeter, area) and gray scale measurements (point, line and area histogram
with statistics).  ImageTool supports standard image processing functions
such as contrast manipulation, sharpening, smoothing, edge detection,
median filtering and spatial convolutions with user-defined convolution
masks.  IT also has built-in macro capabilities that allow the user to
record repetitive tasks and playback saved macros to automate image analysis.

ImageTool was designed with an open architecture that provides extensibility
via a variety of plug-ins.  Support for image acquisition using either
Adobe Photoshop plug-ins or Twain scanners is built-in.  Custom analysis
and processing plug-ins can be developed using the software development kit
(SDK) provided (with source code).  This approach makes it possible to solve
almost any data acquisition or analysis problem with IT.
ImageTool provides for geometric transformations such as rotate, flip vertical,
flip horizontal and magnification up to 16x.  All analysis and processing
functions are available at any magnification factor.  The program is a
multiple document interface (MDI) application supporting any number of windows
(images) simultaneously.

Spatial calibration is available to indicate real world dimensional
measurements such as millimeters, microns, feet, miles, etc. for linear and
area.  Density or gray scale calibration can be done relative to radiation
or optical density (OD) standards.
ImageTool was written using Borland's C++ version 4.5 and the source code
for the executable is available free of charge.  IT was developed in the
Department of Dental Diagnostic Science at The University of Texas Health
Science Center, San Antonio, Texas.  The program was developed by C. Donald
Wilcox, S. Brent Dove, W. Doss McDavid and David B. Greer.