SP6 RNA polymerase -- HELP

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 12 10:47:10 EST 1995

In Article <433rag$q5p at griffin.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk>, Nigel Kenward
<mbxnjk at vax.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hi There,
>Unfortunately SP6 NEVER works as well as T7 or T3 !
>I guess it's something to do with the fact that the T7 and T3 are viral
>in origin and have to work better in-vitro to do-the business for the
>virus. SP6 is bacterial and therefore probably doesn't need to be as
>efficient.

In fact, all three are isolated bacteriophage polymerases.  SP6 comes from
Salmonella infected with the SP6 phage, hence the name.  Also, I don't think
you will get universal agreement about SP6 being substantially poorer than
T7, and certainly not T3.

Warren Gallin,
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta
wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca