Stupid Question regarding PCR

Richard Rohan rrohan at world.std.com
Wed Sep 13 10:16:39 EST 1995

Sami Kohan <skohan at ucla.edu> wrote:

>Why is it standard to use DNA oligonucleotides in PCR when in vivo, when
>DNA is replicating, the polymerase use RNA primers?

Probably because the chemistry for synthesis of DNA oligos is much easier and
thus RNA oligos are more expensive or possibly not available when commercial
PCR was developed.  I vaguely recall that in Dupont's "prior art" suit against
PCR they cited something in the original taq polymerase papers that closely
resembled PCR except using tRNA primers.

Rich Rohan