EtBr filter for CCD camera?

Hemant Chickarmane hemant at
Wed Sep 13 15:08:22 EST 1995

In article   writes:
>From: Pavel Sova <ps44 at>
>Subject: EtBr filter for CCD camera?
>Hi there,
>we have a neat setup of CCD camera connected to the computer and are
>taking pictures of anything short of EtBr stained DNA on agarose gels.
>When I tried to do this, camera took very high bacground of UV bulbs,
>even showing some numbers written on bulbs.  I wasn't able to block this
>background by orange filter, which we routinely use for photography of
>EtBr stained DNA on agarose gels (on Polaroid films).  Neither UV blocking
>filter did any difference.
>I think that some of the light emitted from UV source is actually of visible
>blue color, which goes through UV blocking filter and also through orange
>filter.  Do you have anybody suggestion what filter shoud we use (and it's

A simple solution would be to irradiate the gel from the side like so:

                                      UV source

This would eliminate direct UV from getting to the camera.
The standard screw-on orange filter would suffice.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Dr Hemant Chikarmane, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
           email: hemant at	voice: (508) 289-7245

      ****    Experience Fahrvergnuegen - Drive a Macintosh    ****