earn Swiss chocolate: a tough RT-PCR / RAPD nut

VOGEL at ubaclu.unibas.ch VOGEL at ubaclu.unibas.ch
Wed Sep 13 12:20:25 EST 1995

Hi folks,

here's a tough nut to crack for you PCR jocks.
Since my differential displays on zebrafish RNA (which worked fine one and a
half year ago) constantly failed when I started working on them again
recently, I started a series of experiments to find out where the
problem is/was. (I can supply informations on the exact way the
differential displays failed, but this is probably of no concern here.
If you think you want to know more, mail me. But this here should be tough
enough.)

* To check if the reverse transcription worked, I reverse transcribed
total RNA that was either highly pure or freshly prepared by a method
routinely used in the lab. The RT was performed with two different dNTP
concentrations and with a T12 primer (from the diff.disp.) and a specific
primer.
Then, I performed PCR with two primer sets that produce either a short or
a long (almost full cDNA length) amplificate and allow discrimination
between RT product and genomic DNA. As a control I included genomic DNA
(final 0.5ng/ul). All reactions worked and produced the expected
amplificates; further, it showed that the freshly prepared RNA contained
genomic DNA contamination.
---> specific RT-PCR works

* To try conditions closer to diff.display, I then performed PCR under
the following conditions that are in fact those used for RAPD:
0,2uM decamer primer (from diff. disp.); 100uM dNTPs; 2,5 ul RT product
(from the very same tubes used in the experiment above kept on ice for
some 5 hr between experiments); 25ul total volume;
92C/2' - 36x 92C/1', 36C/1', 72C/1' - 72C/5' (I also repeated the
experiment with the denaturing steps as 94C/5' - 94C/1' with the same result.)
Control was again genomic DNA (final 1 ng/ul) and the internal control of
the genomic DNA contamination.

The control reactions produced nice laddery amplificates.
The RT products produced NOTHING AT ALL, not even a smear or unspecific
artifact bands, just plain - nothing.
---> ???

A substantial reward of Swiss nut chocolate will be given to whoever puts
me on the right track to pin down the problem!!

Andreas

Andreas Vogel
Biocenter of the University
CH-4056 Basel