mRNA isolation questions

Jim Hutchins hutchins at
Fri Sep 15 12:48:37 EST 1995

Edward Wang (ez022056 at wrote:
[First question deleted because I can't answer it :-)]
: My second question is what is the best way to get mRNA into solution
: without compromising the integrity of the mRNA if
: you dried your pellet too much and it won't go into solution at normal
: conditions.

You can heat it to 65 deg C without harming it.  5-15 min should do it.
Be aware that most RNase inhibitors are inactivated by this treatment,
so if you use an inhibitor, you might want to add it back after heating.

Jim Hutchins
Assoc Prof Anatomy, Asst Prof Neurology (Research), Univ Mississippi Med Ctr    ***    E-mail:   hutchins at
``It became necessary to destroy the town in order to save it.''--American
infantry officer firing on Ben Tre, Vietnam, 2/8/68