Whic PCR machines work for Long PCR

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 04:26:59 EST 1995

In article: <tedm-1609952127380001 at cisco-ts5-line18.uoregon.edu>
tedm at darkwing.uoregon.edu (Ted M.) writes:

> I have never used this but am dubious about Stratagene products (several
> mechanical failures have been recounted here) How does this Corbett
> machine hot start a capillary? I thought the only way was using a
> TaqStart antibody to do this.

The capillaries are plastic positive displacement pipette tips so when
you suck up your samples you can put in a small air gap to separate mixes
                                          ^^^^^
etc. Seal the capillaries and put on the machine. When the temp reaches 95C
push the plungers down and the two mixes come into contact = hot start.

> Whats the longest someone has extended on a capillary machine/air cycler?

I wish I knew. Is anyone out there doing long PCR? I've had little in the
way of replies to this post save MJ Research!

Duncan