freeze-drier for HPLC fractions

John K. Troyer jtroyer at umabnet.ab.umd.edu
Tue Sep 19 09:48:07 EST 1995

On 19 Sep 1995, Denni Schnapp wrote:

> Dear netters,
>
> We are doing a lot of reverse phase HPLC separation of peptides
> with ACN gradients in 0.1% TFA. We need to freeze-dry our HPLC
> fractions and are currently thinking about obtaining our own
> freeze-drying system. Several people have told me that neither ACN
> nor TFA are particularly good for the pump. So, does anyone know
> about what type of (cheap!) pump may be best suited for the job?
> Any experiences?
>
> Thanks for your advise!

Denni:

ACN and TFA are not very good for the pump.  However, I have used a Savant
"Speed-Vac" with a cold trap to dry my HPLC samples instead of a
classic freeze drier.  As long as the cold trap is maintained, there should
be little damage to the pump.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

John K. Troyer, PhD
University of Maryland School of Medicine
Departmant of Biological Chemistry
(410) 706-7518
jtroyer at umabnet.ab.umd.edu