Calling Macintosh users

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 19 08:43:44 EST 1995

In article <43m95v$ks9 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk (Graham
Atherton) writes:

> Do any Macintosh user's have advice as to a good Molecular
> Biology- orientated software I could get for #200 sterling? eg
> plasmid drawing?
> I have only used PC up to now - the money is left over from the
> purchase of our first Mac!
> Alternatively are there any hardware gizmo's which could be useful in
> a Mol. Bio. lab.?
> Sorry if this is rather peripheral to this newsgroups interests, but it
> is a good resource for canvassing Molecular Biologists advice.

Spend it on buying DNA Strider (US$200).  You can get it by writing to
Christian Marck, Service de Biochimie et de Genetique Moleculaire, Bat. 142,
Centre d'Etudes de Saclay, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette, CEDEX, France.

Strider is a great program which does all sorts of mol biol computations.  The
only things it seriously lacks are a sequence comparison tool and a contig
assembly tool but these are available elsewhere as free/shareware (Don
Gilberts SeqPup suite).  Strider isn't PowerMac native but it runs just fine
on all Macs including the 8500 (on which it actually screams).

Jim