EtBr filter for CCD camera?

John Tudor jtudor at sju.edu
Tue Sep 19 06:45:50 EST 1995

Check with a company that sells gel documentation systems, such
as Stratagene, UVP, Fotodyne, etc.  I have a Stratagene unit and
they sell a filter for the CCD camera that works very well for
EtBr stained gels illuminated using a transilluminator.

Hemant Chickarmane (hemant at hoh.mbl.edu) wrote:
: In article   writes:
: >From: Pavel Sova <ps44 at columbia.edu>
: >Subject: EtBr filter for CCD camera?
: >
: >Hi there,
: >we have a neat setup of CCD camera connected to the computer and are
: >taking pictures of anything short of EtBr stained DNA on agarose gels.
: >
: >When I tried to do this, camera took very high bacground of UV bulbs,
: >even showing some numbers written on bulbs.  I wasn't able to block this
: >background by orange filter, which we routinely use for photography of
: >EtBr stained DNA on agarose gels (on Polaroid films).  Neither UV blocking
: >filter did any difference.
: >
: >I think that some of the light emitted from UV source is actually of visible
: >blue color, which goes through UV blocking filter and also through orange
: >filter.  Do you have anybody suggestion what filter shoud we use (and it's
: >number)?
: >

: A simple solution would be to irradiate the gel from the side like so:

:                           Camera
:                           ||||||
:                                       UV source
:                                      ////
:                             Gel

: This would eliminate direct UV from getting to the camera.
: The standard screw-on orange filter would suffice.

: Hope this helps.  Good luck.

: --
: Dr Hemant Chikarmane, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
:            email: hemant at mbl.edu	voice: (508) 289-7245

:       ****    Experience Fahrvergnuegen - Drive a Macintosh    ****