PC12 cells in Serum Free Media?

TJ Avila none
Thu Sep 21 13:48:53 EST 1995

herro001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu (Mike Herron) wrote:
>I would like to grow PC12 cells in low serum or serum free media.  The
>serum protein is interfering with some toxicity assays we are trying to
>do.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Growing PC12s in low or absent serum is a good way to differentiate/kill
your cells.  Gibco makes a really good serum-free neural cell media,
called NeuroBasal and a supplement called N2 (essentially from the
Bottenstein/Sato recipe).  This is fantastic for primary neural
cultures, and although I have not tried to grow PC12s in it, they may do
very well in it.

BTW, there's literally a ton of literature out there on culturing PC12
 cells.

Good luck