"recycling" Qiagen plasmid prep columns

Bradley Turner bturner at MED-ITVAX1.BU.EDU
Thu Sep 21 23:32:52 EST 1995

jnbradsh at STUD.MED.CORNELL.EDU (John Bradsher) writes in message
on 18 Sep 1995

>Dear netters:
>        I have a general interest that I wonder if someone can help me
>with.  I have used Qiagen plasmid prep columns for large scale
>purifications, and I wonder if these things can be re-used.  I am by
>training a biochemist and I would believe that one should be able to
>extensively wash a column and regenerate it such that a subsequent round of
>plasmid purification could be done.  Of course, each such column that is
>used is identified with respect to the plasmid purified, such that
>subsequent columns would only be used for purifications of the same
>plasmid.  So, what I'm looking for here is empirical data on what things
>people have tried, and what degree of success these methods have had.
>Specific interests of mine would include what elutions that you have used
>to eliminate the retained protein and RNA from these columns (including any
>notes you may want to throw in on theory), what methods you prefer to
>document the completeness of the elution of such garbage, and what kinds of
>yields you have documented from subsequent plasmid preps.  This would also
>include any data on the distribution of the product into supercoiled and
>nicked circular species.  Additionally, I would like to know anything about
>the stability of these columns in aqueous media, both before and after
>regeneration, if such data is available.  To be to the point, documentation
>counts here; anyone that can show me a good result from such a procedure
>should also be able to give quantitative data on the success of the
>process.  Let me know what you think.   Thanks

You might find the following references helpful:

Procedure for the regeneration and reuse of the Qiagen column
for plasmid purification.
Dennis R. Sparkman
Department of Pathology, Univ of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Dallas, TX USA
Methods in Molecular and Cellular Biology 4:133-134. 1993

The patent that describes the Qiagen material and process:

US Patent 5,057,426
October 15, 1991
Method for separating long-chain nucleic acids.
Inventors: K. Henco, A. Stichel, M. Colpan
Assignee:  Diagen
US Class:  435/270; 536/27; 536/28

Hope this helps,
Brad

                    Bradley Turner
                 University Hospital

Boston University           PHONE: 617-638-8346
Medical Center              FAX:   617-638-7785
Gastroenterology, E-201     EMAIL: bturner at med-itvax1.bu.edu
88 East Newton Street              bsturner at water.bu.edu
Boston, MA 02118, USA              bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu