RNA storage

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Thu Sep 21 12:54:11 EST 1995

In Article <43mt9l$mgb at d2.tufts.edu>, kpfarr at emerald.tufts.edu (Ken Pfarr)
wrote:
>Anton Scott Goustin (asg at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu) wrote:
>: Shaun Heaphy <sh1 at leicester.ac.uk> wrote:
>: ><Is there a proper way to store RNA after I have extracted it?
>: >I have been repeating preps because I figured it was labile.>
>: >
>        If you are not using the RNA for use with enzymes are plan on
>storing it for a long period of time, just resuspend your extracted RNA
>in formamide.  The RNA is ready for use in Northerns and any
>contaminating proteins are kept denatured.  To remove the formamide you
>only need to ppt the RNA and resuspend in RNase free water/buffer.

Just make sure the formamide is completely deionized, since Mg2+ ions can
catalyze chemical (i.e. non-enzymatic) RNA degradation. I use a product
called FORMazol from Molecular Research Center. I have many RNAs that have
been stored at -20C for over two years with no apparent degradation; I can
still see distinct rRNA bands (even 5S) on a Northern gel.
    Tracy