HELPÙ EtBr disposal

Shelley Cole shelley at DARWIN.SFBR.ORG
Fri Sep 22 13:10:35 EST 1995

  I have successfully used a method in the past outlined in:
   G. Lunn and E.B. Sansone. 1989. Decontamination of Ethidium Bromide
    Spills. APPL. IND. HYG. 1989. vol 4; no. 9:234-237.
It involves using a solution of sodium nitrite and hypophosphorous acid.
They use
it to decontaminate surfaces, but I have also used it to decontaminate
solutions.  It has two disadvantages.  You have to make fresh solution
each time you use it, and it gives off nitrogen dioxide, a toxic gas, and
so should be performed under a hood.
   We now routinely use a product by Schleicher & Schuell called
'Extractor' EtBr waste reduction system.  It extracts EtBr from your
solution when you pass it over a 'filter'.  It is very simple to use,
and, for us, has been very economical.
   Hope this helps.

Shelley