HELPÙ EtBr disposal

Mayumi Yagi myagi at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 22 12:01:40 EST 1995

hi, Adela,

There was a long thread about this recently; you might want to check out
the archives.  The way we've been getting rid of EtBr is to adsorb it on
activated charcoal:  If your solutions are dilute (i.e., gel staining
solutions), simply add activated charcoal (approximately 1/10 volume of
the solution you're cleaning up) and your solution, mix thoroughly, and
let sit for an hour or so.  Filter out the charcoal (which should have
the EtBr) and incinerate.  The liquid can be dumped down the drain.  We
also incinerate EtBr-stained gels, and contaminated centrifuge tubes and
plastic pipets.  Most hospitals (in the U.S., anyway) either incinerate
their medical wastes or sendit out to be incinerated.