Calling Macintosh users

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 22 11:06:00 EST 1995

In article <43qfhg$b39 at saba.info.ucla.edu>, Darby Crash? <
phelan at jsei.ucla.edu> writes:

> jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca (Jim Woodgett) wrote:
> >

> > Spend it on buying DNA Strider (US$200).  You can get it by writing
> > to Christian Marck, Service de Biochimie et de Genetique
> > Moleculaire, Bat. 142, Centre d'Etudes de Saclay, 91191
> > Gif-sur-Yvette, CEDEX, France.
> >

> I think the early versions of Strider were shareware - or at least
> the paper in NAR said they were distributed at no charge.
> Perhaps those who are interested can find old copies to try out
> before buying the newer version.

I bet 95% of the DNA Strider copiers out there are not registered (which,
unfortunately, is the same for any shareware).  However, if you think it's a
good program and would like to see it improved, the only way its going to
happen is if the author can generate the funds to continue development.  I
don't think Christian Marck pockets the money.  Instead, he's a computing
scientist with other things to do.

Perhaps if more people paid up (its worth much more than $200) he'd be able to
spend more time on it (and compile a PowerMac native version optimized for the

Back to science...

Jim