"recycling" Qiagen plasmid prep columns

Christian Velten 100736.2071 at compuserve.com
Tue Sep 26 12:13:03 EST 1995

jnbradsh at STUD.MED.CORNELL.EDU (John Bradsher) wrote:

>Dear netters:
>        I have a general interest that I wonder if someone can help me
>with.  I have used Qiagen plasmid prep columns for large scale
>purifications, and I wonder if these things can be re-used.

Hi John,

I´m doing the regeneration of the columns for quit a while now, and
never had any kind of plasmid contamination in preparations (e.g.
previously plasmid A in preparated plasmid B) and also never had a
decrease in plasmid yield (but finally I´ve never done quantitativ
analysis). My protocoll:

- use one volume of elution buffer after plasmid collection and push
everything out
- store in 70% EtOH until enough columns are collected
- autoclav them
- dry the columns in 37° C room
- store dry and use again

I never investigated why this works, but it does!

See you,

Christian
--     "Two Bands or not two bands? - THAT is the question!"

Christian Velten                  Germany
Inst. f. Molecular Biology        Tel.:       +49 511/5325957
Medical School Hannover           Fax:        +49 511/5324283
OE 5250                           e-mail:     cve at ifm.mh-hannover.de
30623 Hannover                    Compuserve: 100736,2071