software for detecting introns?

Sean Eddy eddy at wol.wustl.edu
Thu Sep 28 08:25:03 EST 1995

In article <4484l1$ipr at cronkite.seas.gwu.edu> sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Steven Sullivan) writes:
  >I used to know an internet addresss where I could send a sequence to be
  >automatically checked for intron/exon boundaries -- but I've lost it!

In what organism, and how accurate do you need the answer to be?

Human genefinding (intron/exon prediction) is a notoriously high-class
problem. Programs are improving but are still substantially
inaccurate. Online resources for human genefinding include:

GRAIL:        http://avalon.epm.ornl.gov/Grail-bin/EmptyGrailForm
Gene Finder:  http://dot.imgen.bcm.tmc.edu:9331/gene-finder/gf.html

There may be servers out there for GeneID and GeneParser, too, but I
don't have addresses at hand for them.

--
- Sean Eddy
- Dept. of Genetics, Washington University School of Medicine
- eddy at genetics.wustl.edu